BoXoRRoXoRs
Home  Home      Forums  Forums    IRC  IRC    About  About    Tutorials  Tutorials    Tools  Tools    Game Info  Game Info    Search  Search    Links  Links
Register  ::  Log in

How to set up an OpenITG DediPC with Debian (Long Version) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Eli
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: How to set up an OpenITG DediPC with Debian (Long Version) Reply with quote

knowledgable

This post counts as two rounds!
But no… There was already a windows version, so I thought I’d make a Linux version.

Guide to Installing Linux and OpenITG
Main Contributor to guide: Eli
Acknowledgment of a tutorial that I stole from: JanusDuo

Table of Contents
Section 1--Disclaimer
Section 2--Obtaining and Burning Debian
Section 3--Prep'ing your setup0rz
Section 4--Installing Debian
Section 5--Installing Graphics Card Drivers
Section 6--Setting up OpenITG
Section 7--Setting up Memory Cards
Section 8--OpenITG Startup Script

Section 1::Disclaimer
I will not, nor will the OpenITG team, nor will BoXoRRoXoRs--nor any affiliate of BoXoRRoXoRs, the OpenITG team, or myself will be held liable for damage done to your computer, your system, your setup, yourself, or your family. By following this guide you acknowledge the fact that there is no warranty with this guide, whether implied or inferred. You are using this guide at YOUR OWN RISK. The author and property owners of this guide reserve the right to expand upon these terms at a later time.

Section 2::Where to obtain Linus' Unix
For this guide, I will be using Debian 5 (Lenny). You may use whichever
version of linux you wish, but this guide might not work with it. I
chose Debian since it is what ITG2 ran on, and because it doesn't come
with craploads of extra things that you don't need. Also, for the purposes
of this guide, I will be using i386 version (32-bit) since it works on
both 32-bit hardware and 64-bit hardware. I will not (for the sake of
time, as I am a busy college student who also has a job) make a guide for
64-bit hardware, so if you wish to download a 64-bit version of Debian
you're on your own.

Download Debian 5 (Lenny, gnome, 32-bit, shabam!):
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/debian-504-i386-CD-1.iso

Burn as ISO image onto a CD.

Section 3::Preparation
Make sure your motherboard is set to boot from the CD Drive
before it tries to boot from the harddrive. Insert the Debian CD into your CD drive while your computer it turned on. Close the drive, reboot your
computer.

Section 4::Installing Debian

Click enter to Install.

Spoiler:

Choose language

Spoiler:

Choose country.

Choose keyboard layout.

Just chill and wait for it to do some things automatically.. Don't press anything until you get to the "Configure the Network" screen.

Spoiler:

I put itg2 as my hostname--you can leave it as debian if you want, though

Just hit enter when it asks you for a ".com, .net, or .org" whatever.. you don't need to fill it in.

Spoiler:

Select your timezone.

At this point, it might take you to a blue background and leave you there for a while.. Don't touch anything, it takes a few minutes.. It will eventually bring you to the "Partition disks" screen.

Spoiler:

I'm choosing manual.. No specific reason, I'm going to use the entire disk. I just like knowing what's going on, I guess.

Spoiler:

Choose drive. Then choose yes.

now push the down key and hit enter.

Spoiler:

choose "create a new partition"

choose the size for the new partition, press enter.

Spoiler:

choose "primary" (logical is only if you own an AS400 =P)

push the up arrow key twice, to highlight "Use as:..." and hit enter
Go down until you find "XFS journaling file system" and press enter

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

if the "Format the partition:..." says "no, keep existing data" then you need to press arrow keys until it's highlighted, and then press enter
MAKE SURE IT SAYS "yes, format it"

Spoiler:

keep "Mount point", "Mount options" and "Label" how they are..
Go down to "Bootable flag" and press enter so that it says "On"
Scroll down to "Done setting up the partition" and press enter

Now scroll down to where "Finish partitioning and write change to disk" is highlighted, and press enter.

It will show a screen talking about swap space.. If you have more than 256 (possibly lower?) RAM, you don't need to worry about this. Highlight "No" and press enter.

Now it will show a screen informing you that everything on your harddrive is going to get wiped when it creates this new partition. Highlight "Yes" and press enter.

It will show a bunch of screens and progress bars... Just wait for a little bit and don't do anything.

After a few minutes, it will bring you to a screen asking for a Root password.. Root is Debian's form of administer, so enter in your "master password" (mine is going to be "toor" sans quotes). After typing in your root password, press enter. It will show another screen asking you to reenter the password. Reenter it and press enter.

Now it'll show a screen asking for the full name of the new user. Enter the name and press the enter key.

Spoiler:

It'll show another screen asking for the "Username for your account" and show the same thing you just typed on the last screen. Just press enter

Now it'll ask for a password for the new user.. To make things easy (and secure!), I'm just going to make it the same as the "root password" (toor). After pressing enter, it will ask you to re-enter the password to verify that it's correct. Do such.

It will then show a progress bar.. just wait for a few minutes... Then a popup should appear. Select "No" and press enter.

After waiting a little longer, another popup will appear. I'm going to select "No" to keep the size of the partition down.

Spoiler:

It should finish configuring apt, and go to the next progress bar ("select and install software").. This will take some time, so just chill and don't push anything. After a few minutes you'll be confronted with a popup. Select "No" and press enter. It'll go back to the progress bar for a few seconds, and then pop this screen up.

Spoiler:

All of these should be good. If you're running on a laptop you'll probably want to go down to highlight "Laptop". Press the spacebar to select it, and then hit enter to continue.

It will go back to the progress bar, with around 17% complete... Just sit tight, eat some bacon, and don't push anything--because this next part will take a while... SRSLY, go outside or something...

Once that finishes, a new progress bar will pop up. It will ask if you want to install the GRUB bootloader. Select "Yes" and press enter.

Another progress bar will pop up. Once that finishes, you should be confronted with the following screen.

Spoiler:

Your CD drive should also eject the Debian CD. Remove the CD and press Enter.

Your computer will show the GRUB bootloader (looks like a blue box), run through some on-screen text. And then you will be confronted with the login screen. Now Login =D

Section 5::Installing Graphics Cards Drivers
Goto Applications >> Internet >> Iceweasel Web Browser (It's basically firefox)

Head on over to nvidia's site to download the drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us). Select your card, choose your operating system (Linux 32-bit), and your language. Click "Search". Now click "Download". Now click "Agree & Download". When the popup box appears, click "Save File". The file should download as <some_really_long_name>. Exit out of the browser, right click on the file, and rename it to "nvidia.run" (this makes it easier down the road).

Spoiler:

Now go up to Applications >> Accessories >> Root terminal
type in your "root password" (not your regular one)
Be careful here, Linux is case sensitive
Type (sans quotes) "apt-get install build-essential" and press enter
Type (sans quotes) "y" and press enter
Open your CD drive, insert your Debian CD, close the drive, and then hit enter
Once it's done, take your CD out of the drive.
Type (sans quotes) "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"

This should bring up a black screen, and white text asking for you to login.
Now, login as (sans quotes) "root" (not your username!) and press enter.
Enter your root password (not your username's password!) and press enter.

Type (sans quotes) "cd /home/<username_here>/Desktop" and press enter
Type (sans quotes) "sh nvidia.run"

[Marker 1:]
Hit the left arrow key to accept the conditions and then press enter.
It will ask if you want to download a kernel interface. Say yes and hit enter.
Because it will probably fail, enter to say "OK" once it has failed to find a match.

If a box comes up that says "The CC version check failed: ...", select No and hit enter.

Spoiler:

If you did not receive this popup box, and everything went okay, skip to Marker 2.
If you got the above error, you probably also got a new box that only lets you say "OK". If so, press enter. If another one comes up, press enter again until you're back to the black screen with white text.

Type (sans quotes) "apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" and press enter
Type (sans quotes "y" and hit enter
Insert the Debian Lenny CD, and the press enter
Wait a little bit while it does stuff... Don't push any buttons until you see the line "<username>:/home/<username>/Desktop#". Once this line appears, you may take the CD out.
Type "sh nvidia.run" and press enter.
Go back to "Marker 1" and re-follow the steps.

[Marker 2:]
Select "Yes" to backup your X configuration, and press enter.
Press enter to select "OK"
Type (sans quotes) "/etc/init.d/gdm start"

Log back in with your regular username and password.
Go to Applications >> Accessories >> Root Terminal
Enter your root password
Type (sans quotes) "apt-get update"
Type (sans quotes) "gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"
Goto the bottom of the file and type (sans quotes)
"deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free"

Spoiler:

Click the Save button (top left), and then exit out of gedit.
Type (into terminal, sans quotes) "apt-get update"
Wait until it finishes, and then type (sans quotes) "apt-get install mesa-utils"
Type (sans quotes) "glxinfo | grep direct"
If everything went correctly with installing the video card drivers, it should say "direct rendering: Yes"

Spoiler:

Section 6::Setting Up OpenITG
Okay. We made it through the hard part. This part will be pretty easy, because we aren't going to build OpenITG from source. First, go to one of the OpenITG mirrored websites (http://openitg.gr-p.com/). Next, scroll down to "Full Installs" and underneath it should be a section called "Linux folder". The newest (prebuilt) version of OpenITG will be at the top. At the present time of writing this guide, the newest version was OpenITG Beta 2. Click on the newest version's link to download.

Spoiler:

Once the download has finished, right click on the zipped file and click "Extract Here"
To make life easy, right click on the new folder and rename it to "openitg"
Drag and Drop the "openitg" folder into <your_username> folder (only folder on Desktop)
Now go to Applications >> Accessories >> Root Terminal
Type (sans quotes) "cd Desktop/openitg/Data"
Type (sans quotes) "gedit Static.ini"
Add the lines (sans quotes) "CoinMode=1", "ShowLoadingWindow=0" and "Windowed=1" to the bottom of the file. Click the Save button, and exit.

Spoiler:

Type (sans quotes) "cd .." to go up one level
To execute OpenITG type (in Terminal, sans quotes) "./openitg-beta-2" and press enter

Section 7--Memory Cards

This section is going to be ugly/unorganized, because I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing. Also, most of it is stolen from JanusDuo's guide on how to get USB cards to work. If you want working Memory Cards you need to go back to http://openitg.gr-p.com/ and download beta 1 (while you're there, go to the "Older Versions" section, and download Alpha 8 Cross-platform, full install.. You'll see why a little later). I tried for 2 hours to get memory cards working in beta 2, but it was a no go. As soon as I downloaded beta 1, they worked.

Once you have downloaded beta 1, cd to that directory and type (sans quotes):
"chmod a+x openitg-beta-1"

now type "ls /dev/sd*"

plug in your USB drive, wait for it to mount, and type "ls /dev/sd*" again
look to see which device/name wasn't there on the first command. This is your USB drive (in the screenshot, it's sdb / sdb1)

Spoiler:

now type (sans quotes) "pico /etc/udev/rules.d/05-options.rules" and press enter

insert the following:
KERNEL=="sdb", OPTIONS+="ignore_device"
KERNEL=="sdb1", OPTIONS+="ignore_device"

(where sdb and sdb1 are what you figured out your USB drive is). Hit Ctrl + O (in pico/Terminal), and then press the Enter key. Now hit Ctrl + X, to return to the command prompt

cd to (sans single-quotes) '/lib/udev/devices'

type (sans quotes) "MAKEDEV sdb"
(where sdb is, once again, what you figured out what your USB drive is)

do a ls sd*
and you should see a lot of sd_ thingies

type (sans quotes) “pico /etc/fstab”

Now enter this line of code, you'll probably want this near the bottom.

/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat rw,user,noauto,sync,exec 0 0

Press Ctrl + O, and then press Enter. Press Ctrl + X to return to Terminal

Now you'll need to manually create the sdb1 and sdc1 mount points:

$ cd /media
$ mkdir sdb1

Goto System > Preferences > Removable drives and Media, uncheck the 3 boxes for automounting (so nothing should be checked under removable storage)

Spoiler:

RESTART YORE PC
After the computer has restarted and you have logged in, unplug your flash drive.

In terminal, run this command again.
"pico /etc/fstab"
It's probably blank. It probably got wiped after the restart. Just add this line (sans quotes):
"/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat rw,user,noauto,sync,exec 0 0"

Press Ctrl + O, and then press enter. Press Ctrl. + X to return to the Terminal.

now cd to Openitg Alpha8 (if it's also on the Desktop, it'll be "cd ../OpenITG\ alpha8")
Plug in your USB card, and then run the alpha 8 executable. Close out of it as soon as the video starts playing. Now scroll up towards the top of the Terminal window until you see "sDevice: /dev/sdb1, iBus .... " (or whatever your USB was called was when we checked).. Don’t worry about the other “sDevice” that are there—you only need the one that has your USB name on it.

Spoiler:

Remember or write down the "iBus", "iLevel", and "iPort" numbers.
Now cd to the Data folder in beta 1 (cd ../OpenITG\ beta\ 1/Data").
Run "gedit Static.ini" and type in the numbers you wrote down into the "MemoryCardUsbBusP1=", "MemoryCarUsbLevelP1=", and "MemoryCardUsbPortP1=". Also set "MemoryCards=1" (this just says to use memory cards) and then Save the file.

These steps can be repeated to determine and configure P2 USB.

The only thing I haven't figure out is whether or not you have to add the entries to fstab every time the computer restarts. I never noticed how they went missing before.

Section 8--Startup Scripts

Heh, I haven't gotten this far yet. It might be awhile (see: summer) before I do this. If somebody else wants to write this section up, I'll throw it in here and add your name as a contributor to the tutorial.

infamouspat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxami Development Team

finish it and i'll sticky this topic as well as talk to Grim to see if I can put it in Tutorials if possible

{
    if( LOG )
        LOG->Warn("Created a thread without naming it first.");

/* If you don't name it, I will: */
    strcpy( m_pSlot->name, "Joe" );
goofwear
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Yeah Please finish it, and that would be great if it was put in to the tutorials

Kriz Valentine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set up an OpenITG DediPC with Debian (Long Versio Reply with quote

n00b

Eli wrote:

Section 8--Startup Scripts

Heh, I haven't gotten this far yet. It might be awhile (see: summer) before I do this. If somebody else wants to write this section up, I'll throw it in here and add your name as a contributor to the tutorial.

i can do it..

just give me a few days (2?)
Very Happy

Eli
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

okay, the only two things that I think still need to be figured out for this tutorial are: memory cards and init.d script

as far as memory cards go... It works, but for some odd reason, after a few reboots, it wasn't mounting anymore... I executed alpha 8 and my "sDevice: iBus: " changed from a 1 to a 2.. Once I changed "MemoryCardUsbBusP1=1" to a 2, it started working again. So if anybody can figure out a way to not have the Bus number change, that'd be cool

And as far as an init.d script.. I just seriously don't know.. I tried making "oitg" inside of /etc/init.d, and then I ran "update-rc.d oitg defaults 99". I was able to test that my init script was working by running "invoke-rc.d oitg start" (it started openitg just like it's supposed to).. but then when I actually restarted my computer, I couldn't get openitg to start (it ran through the script, and showed all the loading stuff, but then said "Error: Failed to establish a connection the the X server" and then booted into the GUI. If anybody wants to try to figure out what's going on, my init script is below (you'll need to change it to properly reflect where your OITG binary is located). Also, it'll probably complain that the init script isn't following proper coding structure when you run update-rc.d, but it still works.

GOOD LUCK KRIZ! I BELIEVE IN YOU

Spoiler:

Kriz Valentine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n00b

a few months ago, i modified the standard slax version to make it work like the debian distro used in the original boxors..
to start the game i tested 2 ways:

1) \etc\kde\kdm\Xsession
nearly the end of the file you can find this :
Spoiler:

2) \etc\X11\xinit\xinitrc
Spoiler:

for arcade (jpac like) use the correct code is:
exec /mnt/sda5/OpenITG/openitg-sse2-beta-2 --type=Preferences-kit
please remember set this in Static.ini
InputDrivers=X11,joystick
or any keyboard input will be disabled..

the 2nd script (in theory) can work in debian.. i didnt have any empty hdd to install debian and test it...
for practical reasons i use slax instead of debian (practical reason = im too lazy to configure a lot of things..)

note for arcade builds:
the correct script may be:
exec /stats/patch/start-2.sh or ./stats/patch/start-2.sh

if someone can test if this work, please post it

darklink87
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

This guide is amazingly helpful. Everything works up to memory cards. It actually works fine with the latest OITG Revisions.

All we need now is a good startup script.

goateeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

First off... I think that post counts as 3 rounds Wink *laughs*

Second... It's freakin' awesome... Thank you... A LOT... I've wanted to get my ITG3 cabinet running something other than Windoze for awhile now, and reading this, I think I might actually be able to make it happen.
(Although how awesome it really is, will be determined if I can get it up and running Wink

Thirdly... Anybody know why he was having issues with beta 2 not working?

darklink87
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

goateeguy wrote:

I think there was an actual problem with the Beta 2 code that didn't let it work with memory cards well. They used a new method in Beta 3, which is what I tested out, and it had no issues at all with.

Eli
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

darklink87 wrote:
This guide is amazingly helpful. Everything works up to memory cards. It actually works fine with the latest OITG Revisions.

All we need now is a good startup script.

Everything works up to memory cards, or through memory cards (that is, did you get memory cards working)?

And as far as a startup script goes, have you tried what I talked about in this thread? Just wondering because it worked fine for me (other than a crash when pressing the operator button), but not so well for others.

goateeguy wrote:
First off... I think that post counts as 3 rounds *laughs*

I think BXRXR uses r21 Sad on their forums, because it ended up only counting for one

goateeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

darklink87 wrote:
goateeguy wrote:

I think there was an actual problem with the Beta 2 code that didn't let it work with memory cards well. They used a new method in Beta 3, which is what I tested out, and it had no issues at all with.

Well I use beta 2 on my doze machine, and memory cards work fine... (well other than if they have over 1000 scores, then it starts to get sketchy)

I think this might just be a project for Wednesday heh... Hopefully memory cards will work perfectly then, and my pad will stop randomly dropping off *glare*

holyskull
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not so n00b

I'm going to be trying this tonight but one thing before. We are going to hook it up to our ddr extreme machine how would I get this working with the monitor. I have a itg2 hdd and can grab the xfree86 config file but where would I put it if I can use it?

Eli
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowledgable

To get the monitor working on a ddr machine, you'll need to get your video card to output 15 khz. xfree86 is old, so you'll need to be editing xorg instead. After following this guide (which I realize I still need to complete, and do still plan on doing such), you'll want to run the command (in terminal) "gtf 640 240 15". This should produce a modeline for you. After copying the modeline, run the command "cd /etc/X11/" followed by "gedit xorg.conf". Add the newly created modeline to the monitor section in your X11. Although I haven't tried this, I think that should fix everything (if somebody notices something I missed, please chime in).

holyskull
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not so n00b

sweet thanks alot! I just got done with installing everything and got open working, the only thing i havent worked on was the memory cards (im being lazy right now) but will work on that later. I will be testing it out on the ddr machine tomarrow i will post some pics and or video for you guys to see if it works right.

holyskull
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not so n00b

Wooo we got it working! Many thanks to you Eli for the guide and monitor info and everyone who works on the openitg project!

There are a few issues we are dealing with, when ever you push the two green buttons at the same time it acts like the esc key and backs out to the previous screen. It may be the jpac since it has a shift command or something ill do a lil research on that. Then we seem to can't get custom themes to work right its missing graphics and other graphics are misplaced, but they work on the windows ver perfect.

Ps. I end up running beta 1 because custom songs would not cache for some reason it would say an error saying it couldn't in the terminal , and the theme still wouldn't load right on beta 2.

Jump to: